THE TORRIONE WITH COVERTO RESCUE AND THE ROCCA
The Martiniano di Cagli tower is part of an imposing fortification system designed by the Sienese architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini on commission from Duke Federico da Montefeltro.
The architectural complex, still under construction in 1481, it consisted of a mighty fortress, in an elevated position with respect to the city level, and the Torrione, inserted in the medieval city walls. The two structures were connected by an underground walkway, still entirely viable: the so-called coverto rescue is articulated in more 360 steps that went up the hill from the Torrione to open up inside the Fortress. The fortress, dismantled in 1502 at the behest of Guidobaldo da Montefeltro to prevent it from being taken by Cesare Borgia, it is one of the most important and satisfying projects of the Sienese architect, as can be deduced from the detailed descriptions he makes of them in his Treatise, only iconographic source to reconstruct its original appearance. Today only a few ruins remain of the fortress, while the fascination aroused by the shapes and environments of the tower that it develops on remains intact 5 elliptical floors connected by slatted staircases culminating in the open gallery where machicolations and loopholes alternate. The calibrated construction choices of the entire complex represent innovative architectural solutions that Martini experiments to cope with the recent use of firearms and make the building in Cagliari an admirable example of transitional military architecture. Compared itself to a sculpture carved out of stone, dal 1997 the Torrione is home to the Contemporary Sculpture Center and houses works by internationally renowned artists including Eliseo Mattiacci, Jannis Kounellis, Hidetosci Nagasawa, Giulio Paolini, Giuseppe Uncini, Marco Gastini, Gilberto Zorio, Ernesto Porcari, Paolo Icaro, Nunzio and Salvatore Scarpitta.
Find out more: https://www.visitcagli.it/